Monday, March 3, 2014

Top Five Greatest Pre-Cinderella Metal Songs:

Arguably, the Metal scene was already pretty terrible, but what was ushered in with the dawn of bands like Poison and Cinderella in 1986 is undeniable garbage. For some reason, even as a 6th grader, I knew things were getting awful in '86.
Here's my list of favorite Metal jams that existed before the hair got super high and things got out of control (all of this is subject to change, by the way):

5. Aldo Nova  "Fantasy" 
Alright, so this song just straight up sucks. I guess I'm off to a bad start. It reminds me of Ocean City's boardwalk when it seemed sort of tough and dangerous in the '80s. What's up tasseled sleeveless half-shirts? What's up DJ Adam Smasher on DC/101? Still ... if it happened to be on the radio, and no one else was around, I'd turn it up.

4. Mötley Crüe  "Come on and Dance"
I almost went with "Live Wire" here, especially considering the ending where the guys in the band become their own audience and clap for themselves, but "Come on and Dance" is too good to be overlooked. The solo is one of the most bizarre moments in Metal, the vocals get steadily worse as the song progresses, there's some tricky cowbell playing, and I appreciate that Mick Mars' guitar achieves the exact tone featured on the long forgotten Reason to Believe seven inch.
Man, now that I think about it, this song sucks too. I should've went for a top 3 list 'cause I legitimately like the next few songs. 

3. Motörhead "Ace of Spades"
Technically, I first heard Motörhead when they appeared on MTV's rebroadcasts of The Young Ones around 1985, but this particular record came out in 1980. However, "Ace of Spades" almost didn't make the cut 'cause I don't know how to classify it. I mean this song kills, and it's sure a far cry from Dokken. But is it metal? … They do make use of an umlaut on that second 'o'… What's the general consensus on this? Seems too cool to be Metal. While making this list, I checked a bunch of other online lists to see what other folks think, and you know what I realized? Most Metal sucks, and making this dumb list is impossible. Motörhead's awesome, though. So can I just put them on this list just to get closer to five? Please?

2. Black Sabbath  "Trashed" 
You didn't see this one coming, I know. Unbelievable song. The mix is awful, but somehow, this INSANE song transcends even the worst production mistakes. You've got to lean in to the lyrics and Ian Gillan's delivery. He was feelin' it. Believing every word.
The link'll send you to the song, not the video, quite deliberately. I'll let you look up the video on your own if you want to give yourself nightmares. It's got all the charm of Eyes Wide Shut, the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and the Rick James skit from the Dave Chappelle Show. No kidding. It's the perfect union of all three aesthetic visions.  

1. Judas Priest  "You've Got Another Thing Coming"
Still kicks butt after all these years. If you don't like this song, you have no pulse, no soul. We can't be friends.

3 comments:

  1. Man in like three years, this is going to be the world's best Judas Priest fanblog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that it'll take me three whole years to create the best Judas Priest fanblog. I've really gotta cultivate the fandom. Let it stew.
      And when I'm being interviewed about the beginnings of it all, I'll say, "Ya' see, it all started with this skate movie I made."

      Delete